Skip to main content

Hong Kong

Volume 172: debated on Tuesday 15 May 1990

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs if he will make a statement about the current position of present and retired expatriate members of Her Majesty's overseas civil service in Hong Kong and their eligibility for pensions based on the pound sterling equivalent at the time of retirement, in view of the recent fluctuations in the pound sterling equivalent of the Hong Kong dollar.

All pensionable civil servants employed by the Hong Kong Government receive their pensions in Hong Kong dollars. There are no plans to change this arrangement. The Hong Kong dollar is linked to the United States dollar.