To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will list by year for the last five years and by aircraft type and mark the number of United States aircraft that have crashed in the United Kingdom that were (a) based in the United Kingdom and (b) overflying the United Kingdom.
Our records show that there have been no crashes in the United Kingdom involving United States military aircraft not based here. Details of major accidents involving United States military aircraft based in the United Kingdom since 17 May 1985 to date are as follows:
- 1985 None
- 1986 24 July 1986 A USAF RF-4C crashed into the sea in St. Brides Bay, South Wales.
- 1987 23 February 1987 A USAF F-111F crashed near Newmarket, Suffolk.
- 28 July 1987 A USAF F-111F crashed near Lauder, Berwickshire.
- 1988 22 December 1988 A USAF A10A crashed on approach to RAF Alconbury.
- 1989 4 April 1989 A USAF A10A crashed through the perimeter fence at RAF Alconbury after landing.
- 17 April 1989 A USAF A10A crashed near RAF Alconbury. 1990 5 February 1990 A USAF F-111E crashed into the sea near Wainfleet range.
- 6 February 1990 A USAF A10A crashed near Capel-y-Ffyn in Wales.
- 2 May 1990 An F-111 crashed near Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk.