To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what research his Department has conducted into the effects of lead in water; and if he will make a statement.
The Scottish Home and Health Department has provided funding for a number of long-running major projects over the past 18 years:
- Studies in Environmental and Industrial Lead Intoxification.
- Studies on the Biological Effects of Lead and Cadmium in the Environment.
- The Evaluation of Certain Aspects of Lead and Cadmium Exposure in Terms of Biochemical Effects and Consideration of Bio-Analytical Indices of Exposure.
- Developmental Behavioural and Neurochemical Aspects of Lead Exposure in Man and Experimental Animals.
- Neuropsychological Function in Children Exposed to Low Levels of Lead in the Environment (in conjunction with the Medical Research Council).