Skip to main content

Benefit Claimants

Volume 175: debated on Tuesday 26 June 1990

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what type of assistance would be available to a claimant who, about to start work and unable to manage until they get their first week's wages, approaches a local social security office, as suggested in the revised UB40/UBL18, and if he will make a statement.

Since income support is normally paid fortnightly in arrears, an unemployed person has two weeks' benefit on which to manage until he receives his first wage. Nevertheless, if a person runs out of money and there is serious risk to his or his family's health or safety, a crisis loan from the social fund may be made.