To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will list those hospitals taking part in the national pilot scheme for information management and technology training; what are the terms of reference; when the pilot scheme will finish; when he expects to publish the results; and if he will indicate which of those hospitals taking part in the scheme have expressed an interest in trust status.
The National Health Service Training Authority (NHSTA) has responsibility for management of a joint Department of Health/NHSTA information management and technology (IMT) training strategy for England and Wales. There are at present two national pilot schemes in progress.
Project 05. This aims to identify IMT training needs and to produce open learning materials to meet these. The first stage of the pilot project should finish by October 1990 with the learning materials published shortly afterwards.
The sites involved are:
- Barnsley District General Hospital
- Bronglais Hospital Aberystwyth
- Doncaster Royal Infirmary1
- George Eliot Hospital Nuneaton
- Glenfield General Hospital Leicester
- Hope Hospital Salford
- Leighton Hospital Crewe1
- Northern General Hospital Sheffield1
- Riverside District Health Authority (Charing Cross and Westminster Hospitals, District Family and Community Services and Mental Health Units)
- St. Bartholomews Hospital London1
- 1 Have expressed an interest in trust status.
Project 027 This pilot relates to district health authorities rather than to individual hospitals. It aims to set up the infrastructure for the delivery of IMT training. The pilot scheme is due to run from August 1990 to February 1991 with the results published shortly afterwards.
The district health authorities involved are:
- Cornwall and Isles of Scilly
- South-East Kent
- West Dorset
and one district chosen and financed by the Welsh Office yet to be decided.
The following interests in trust status have been expressed within the participating districts:
Cornwall and Isles of Scilly: Cornwall Mental Handicap Services, Cornwall Community Services, West Cornwall Acute Services.
- Leicestershire: None.
- Macclesfield: Community and Mental Handicap Services, District General Hospital Acute Services, Mental Health Services.
- Plymouth: Acute Services.
- Portsmouth: None.
- South-East Kent: William Harvey and Buckland Hospital, District Community Services.
- West Dorset: Acute Services, Mental Health Services, Community and General Services.
- York: None.