Skip to main content


Volume 176: debated on Wednesday 11 July 1990

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, pursuant to his answer of 26 June, Official Report, column 125, what proportion of United Kingdom bilateral aid was spent on the projects in housing, welfare, education and renewable natural resources sectors, which were regarded as being for direct poverty alleviation.

The proportion of bilateral aid to India spent from 1980 to 1988 on projects in housing, welfare and education was 7 per cent., and in renewable natural resources sectors 11 per cent., giving a total for the poverty-focused sectors of 18 per cent.It is not possible to extend this analysis to the aid programme as a whole because the circumstances in India, which mean that spending there in these sectors can be directly attributed to poverty alleviation, are not necessarily applicable in other countries.