To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will list the companies formerly operating within the national dock labour scheme that declared themselves insolvent after the abolition of the scheme; how many companies are now trading under the same names as any of these companies; and how many companies now trading have the same directors.
The regulations made under the Dock Work Act 1989 ensure that no formerly registered dock worker loses out because his employer is unable to meet his 50 per cent. share of the compensation payment. The Department has paid the full amount to the employees, through the companies' liquidators, in 14 cases which are listed in the table. I am unable to answer the remainder of this question. However, the Department relied on the liquidator to confirm that the companies were no longer trading; and in certain cases it asked the liquidator to undertake inquiries to establish that no transfer of undertaking had taken place.
- Aberdeen Stevedores Ltd.
- Anglosped Ltd. (Chatham)
- Dundee Stevedores Ltd.
- Fish Landing Temporary Employers (Aberdeen) Ltd.
- Great Yarmouth Port Labour Co. Ltd.
- Grimsby Port Services Ltd.
- John Sutcliffe Consolidated Stevedores Ltd. (Grimsby)
- Lindsey Dock Services Ltd. (Grimsby)
- Liverpool Grain Storage and Transit Co.
- Manisty Wharf Ltd. (Ellesmere Port)
- Mersey Container Terminals Ltd.
- Seahorn Marine Enterprises Ltd. (Liverpool)
- West Langton Stevedores Ltd. (Liverpool)
- Wisbech Stevedores Ltd.