To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer if he will give, by volume and street value, the quantity of illicit drugs intercepted at United Kingdom (a) airports and (b) seaports by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise during the 12 months ended 29 February.
The information is as follows:
|Airports||Seaports||Value £ million|
Value £ million
1. Figures are for main types of drug.
2. Figures in respect of the latest 2 months are provisional.
3. Amphetamine figure includes 283 kilos of MDA (a derivative of MDMA which is known colloquially as "Ecstasy").
4. Value of Cocaine is taken at 72·5 per cent. purity (the average at importation).
5. Value for Diamorphine (Heroin) is taken at 52·5 per cent. purity (the average at importation).
6. Figures include drugs detected at sea/airports but allowed to "run" and subsequently intercepted inland in follow up operations.