Skip to main content


Volume 222: debated on Thursday 2 April 1992

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans the Government have to deal with those who will be homeless after being made redundant as a result of "Options for Change".

A wide range of resettlement advice and support is available to all personnel leaving the services. A joint services housing advice office has been set up to provide advice and guidance on housing options, working closely with the local authorities and housing associations. Other measures include the sale or lease of surplus property to housing associations in return for the reservation of places for rent by service personnel, and the provision by the Housing Corporation of do-it-yourself shared ownership opportunities specifically for those leaving the services. Any redundee who has failed to find accommodation by the time he comes to leave the services, will be allowed to stay on temporarily in his married quarter provided it is not required for a service family.