Skip to main content

Health Service Commissioner

Volume 268: debated on Monday 11 December 1995

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health which bodies other then aggrieved patients are able to submit complaints to the health service ombudsman for investigation. [4496]

The health service commissioner can investigate complaints from a person or body other than the aggrieved patient in certain circumstances. Complaints can be accepted from someone acting on behalf of the patient if it is clear the patient supports the complaint or is not capable of doing so. If, for instance, the patient has died or is incapable of making a complaint, complaints can be accepted from a close family member—preferably the next of kin. Complaints can also be accepted from a representative or adviser, who may be a national health service employee, if there are good reasons why a family member cannot make the complaint. The commissioner can also accept complaints from NHS bodies such as health authorities.