To ask the Secretary of State for Health what research his Department has conducted into the toxic effect of mercury in dental amalgam. 
The Department is advised by an independent Committee on the Toxicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment (COT). In 1986 the COT conducted a review and concluded that the use of dental amalgam is free from the risk of systemic toxicity and only a few cases of hypersensitivity occur. Similar reviews by national and international expert bodies have reached the same conclusions. COT is currently preparing an updated opinion.