Skip to main content


Volume 403: debated on Monday 10 March 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how much compensation from the European Union her Department has received for the incineration of tallow produced under the over thirty months scheme since its inception. [101263]

Compensation paid to producers under the OTMS scheme is funded approximately 70 per cent. by the EU and 30 per cent. by HM Treasury. Of the element that can be reimbursed by the EU, 80 per cent. is payable at the time animals are rendered, and the remaining 20 per cent. after the Meat and Bone Meal (MBM) and Tallow produced by the rendering process have both been incinerated.To date,£106,057,555 has been reimbursed following the incineration of MBM and Tallow.