Skip to main content

Residential Care (Funding)

Volume 401: debated on Friday 14 March 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister if he will make a statement on the transfer of funding between social services departments when one department chooses to place residents into residential care in the area of another. [100540]

I have been asked to reply.In England, a council should provide social services to those who are assessed under section 47of the NHS and Community Care Act 1990 as needing such care services and are considered to be ordinarily resident within that council's area, in accordance with Local Authority Circular 93(7), a copy of which is available in the Library. Once a council has accepted responsibility for a service user, that council should provide and fund the appropriate services whether that service be provided within that council's boundary or outside. There is therefore no requirement to transfer funds between social services departments when one council chooses to place an individual in the area of another council.