Skip to main content

Nitrate Vulnerable Zones

Volume 401: debated on Tuesday 18 March 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs how many nitrate vulnerable zones have been designated; and what percentage of the land area of England and Wales is designated as nitrate vulnerable zones. [102984]

The Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs is only responsible for implementing the Nitrates Directive in England.In 1996, the Government designated 66 Nitrate Vulnerable Zones (NVZs) covering 8 per cent. of England's land area.In October 2002, the Government designated NVZs covering an addition al 47 per cent. of England's land area. This brings total coverage of England to around 55 per cent. The Government have not made an assessment of the total number of discrete NVZs in England.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what her assessment is of the effect on land values of the introduction of nitrate vulnerable zones. [103020]

The Government have not made an assessment of the effect on land values of the introduction of nitrate vulnerable zones.The Government have published a Regulatory Impact Assessment paper which sets out the costs to the agricultural industry of complying with the Action Programme measures in England. This publication is available in the Defra Library and via the Defra NVZ web pages (www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/quality/nitrate/library.htm).