Skip to main content

Domestic Violence

Volume 401: debated on Thursday 20 March 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what financial support is available for spouses and their dependants who are seeking exceptional leave to remain on the basis of the domestic violence concession. [96889]

Provided that the Home Office is satisfied that a marriage has broken down due to domestic violence, it can apply a concession to the immigration rules (during the probationary one-year period), giving the victim indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. This provision allows victims of domestic violence to claim social security benefits.