Skip to main content

Maritime Inspections

Volume 402: debated on Thursday 3 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what (a) qualifications and (b) training are required for Maritime and Coastguard Agency inspectors to inspect living and working conditions on UK registered ships. [106859]

On entry to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), marine surveyors must have a master mariner or chief engineer qualification, or a relevant maritime degree. Qualifications and experience are supplemented by internal training and guidance based on International Labour Organization (ILO) and UK requirements.In-service training is provided by experienced surveyors and a specialist food and hygiene inspector. The MCA also uses a competency framework to maintain and develop its surveyor skills, which includes Ship Health and Safety and Welfare. Training is kept under review.