Skip to main content


Volume 403: debated on Monday 7 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what levels of professional indemnity cover (a) dentists from EU countries practising in England and (b) dentists trained in England receive. [106885]

All dentists working in the United Kingdom must be registered with the General Dental Council (GDC). The GDC's guidance to dentists states that:

"a dentist involved in advising or treating patients must … be indemnified against claims for professional negligence. … A lack of adequate indemnity cover … would almost certainly lead to a charge of serious professional misconduct."
The GDC makes no distinction in this about where a dentist was trained.