Skip to main content

Overseas Dentists

Volume 403: debated on Tuesday 8 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what courses and qualifications are available to ensure that overseas dentists wishing to practise in England have training, skills and qualifications at an equal level to dentists trained in England. [106884]

In order to practise dentistry in the United Kingdom, dentists must have their qualifications recognised by, and register with, the General Dental Council (GDC). Generally, overseas qualified dentists wishing to practise in the UK have to pass the GDCs international qualifying examination, but nationals of other European Economic Area states holding specified dental qualifications awarded by these states are entitled to automatic recognition in the UK on the basis of agreed minimum training requirements.