Skip to main content

Asylum Support

Volume 403: debated on Monday 14 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what help will be given to district councils that have asylum seekers in respect of (a) housing, (b) health and (c) education. [107332]

In respect of housing, the National Asylum Support Service (NASS) has entered into contracts with the private and public sector to provide accommodation for destitute asylum seekers. Only local authorities contracted to NASS would be asked to provide accommodation for asylum seekers placed in their areas. Other district councils would not be required to provide accommodation for asylum seekers.Only upper tier authorities are responsible for providing education and healthcare. People applying for asylum in the UK are entitled to full use of the NHS without charge. Primary Care Trusts are the statutory organisations responsible for providing their residents—including asylum seekers—with health care and are funded directly to enable them to achieve this. Local education authorities fund the education service and receive most of their funding through general grant.