Skip to main content

Immigration And Asylum

Volume 403: debated on Monday 14 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department under what circumstances a person granted (a) humanitarian protection and (b) discretionary leave to remain will be able to be joined in the UK by a spouse or dependent children. [108215]

A spouse or dependent child will normally be allowed to join a person who has been granted limited leave under either the humanitarian protection or discretionary leave policies, only once they have been granted indefinite leave to remain, or settlement, in the United Kingdom. A person will not be eligible to apply for settlement until they have three years humanitarian protection or six years discretionary leave (more for people who are considered to be of bad character or conduct).

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if lie will make it his policy to give access to benefits to failed single asylum seekers who cannot be removed from the UK. [108218]

It is not Government policy to give access to mainstream benefits to those failed single asylum seekers who cannot currently be removed from the United Kingdom. We have always recognised that in some cases failed asylum seekers will be unable to leave the United Kingdom immediately through no fault of their own. In such circumstances the person can apply for accommodation to be provided under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. Where accommodation is provided it is on a full board basis.