Skip to main content

Residential Training Schemes

Volume 403: debated on Monday 14 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions what plans he has to change his Department's policy whereby a young person taking part in a residential training scheme loses his or her benefit entitlement for that period. [103677]

Residential training is available to unemployed people with health problems and disabilities as part of the Work Based Learning for Adults programme. It is intended to help individuals gain skills in a supported environment, where they are unable to access suitable local provision.People undertaking residential training are entitled to receive Jobcentre Plus allowance payments. The payments are equal to the rate of benefit that participants were entitled to immediately prior to commencing the training, with an additional £10 premium paid to support the cost of attendance.For those in receipt of income support or income-based jobseekers allowance prior to receiving Jobcentre Plus allowance payments, an adjustment is made to ensure that entitlement to passported benefits such as housing benefit and council tax benefit are preserved. In addition, for those in receipt of incapacity benefit, special linking rules apply which protect their underlying rate of benefit for up to two years.These arrangements ensure that people do not lose out financially through undertaking training. We have no plans to change these arrangements at present.