Skip to main content


Volume 404: debated on Tuesday 15 April 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs whether a licence is required for the import or export of semen for the purposes of artificial insemination of competition stallions in (a) Europe, (b) Australia, (c) New Zealand and (d) the USA. [108916]

[holding answer 11 April 2003]: The information is as follows:

Imports into Great Britain
Whether import licences are required depends on the date of collection. No import licences are required for semen collected after 1 October 1995 or 1 October 1996 depending on the country. Importers should contact Defra's International Animal Health Division for further information. Import licences are required for semen collected prior to those dates but semen collected prior to 1 October 1996 cannot be imported from New Zealand. Additionally an official export health certificate must be obtained from the veterinary authorities of the exporting country prior to the export taking place.

Exports from Grew Britain

Exporters must obtain an import licence from the veterinary authorities of Australia and New Zealand to allow the import of equine semen for artificial insemination in competition stallions. Import licences are not required for the USA. EU member states do not require import licences for equine semen collected since 1 October 1995 but individual member states may do so for semen collected prior to that date. Exporters should contact the veterinary authorities of the relevant member state. Additionally, an export health certificate for exports to EU member states, Australia, New Zealand or the USA must be obtained from an Animal Health Divisional Office.

Further information can be obtained from the International Animal Health Division at 1A Page Street in London on telephone number 020 7904 6331.