Skip to main content

Benefits (Service Families)

Volume 404: debated on Thursday 1 May 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what procedures are in place to provide spouses of army personnel with (a) maternity benefit, (b) jobseeker's allowance, (c) disability allowance and (d) advice on how to seek these benefits, when they are living or have been living abroad; and if he will make a statement. [110389]

The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) issue pamphlet GL26, which gives specific advice on benefits and allowances for Service families moving overseas. Claims are dealt with through the

It is assumed that this question relates to Service family housing in mainland United Kingdom, which is managed by the Defence Housing Executive (DHE). At the end of March 2003, there were 8,161 empty properties, including about 2,000 which the Services have requested DHE hold back from disposal, depending on resolution of Service deployment uncertainties.Of the total vacant, some 2,880 had been empty for six months or more, of which 937 were in the course of disposal, and 1,399 were awaiting planned deployments or refurbishment. The remainder are subject to a rolling review of their long-term retention.