Skip to main content


Volume 405: debated on Tuesday 13 May 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs what advice is being given to British nationals who reside in (a) China, (b) Thailand, (c) Japan, (d) Canada, (e) New Zealand and (f) Australia regarding the SARS virus. [111302]

British nationals residing abroad are able to receive up-to-date information about the SARS virus via the Travel Advice pages of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website ( and by remaining in contact with their nearest embassy, high commission or consulate. In addition, our missions in Beijing, Hong Kong and Guangzou, where the SARS outbreak has been most serious, produce information notices on SARS for the British community which are updated regularly. British nationals resident in Australia, New Zealand and Canada also have access to the advice on SARS provided by the Australian, New Zealand and Canadian Governments.The travel advice on the FCO website contains links to the websites of the Department of Health and the World Health Organisation where more general information on the SARS virus, its symptoms and precautionary measures against it, can be found. Travel advice is also available by telephone around the clock, on 0870 606 0290.