Skip to main content


Volume 405: debated on Friday 16 May 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister whether he will withdraw the recommendation of his Planning Inspectors that Cambridgeshire County Council's Structure Plan should consider the development of up to 1,000 houses on land west of Trumpington Road. [113923]

The Panel of Inspectors who considered the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Structure Plan, although appointed by my right hon. Friend the Deputy Prime Minister, is independent and makes recommendations to the strategic planning authorities as promoters of the plan. It is for the strategic planning authorities to consider the panel's report and to give reasons if they do not propose to modify their plan in accordance with the panel's recommendations. They must then publish modifications to the plan offering stakeholders the opportunity to comment upon the modifications. GO-East will be responding to the consultation on behalf of my right hon. Friend the Deputy Prime Minister and I would urge anyone with an interest to make their views on the proposed modifications known to the strategic planning authorities by 17 June.

To ask the Deputy Prime Minister what assessment is made when assessing capital housing allowances to Islington of the council's income from the sale of buildings that could be used for housing purposes; and if he will make a statement. [113520]

The framework for allocation of capital resources to English local authorities no longer includes specific adjustments to reflect differences in authorities' capacity to fund capital expenditure from receipts arising from sales of housing and other assets. New arrangements are being introduced for allocation of resources for housing investment by local authorities and housing associations. These will increasingly be directed at regionally identified strategic housing priorities; decisions on allocations will reflect how the available resources can be best used to complement housing investment funded from authorities' own resources, including housing capital receipts, and from other funding streams.