Skip to main content

Asylum Seekers

Volume 406: debated on Friday 23 May 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what action he is taking to promote advice on sexual health for (a) refugees and (b) asylum seekers in the UK. [113730]

I have been asked to reply.Primary care trusts are responsible for providing sexual health services and advice to meet local needs and in particular those who may have special needs such as refugees and asylum seekers.Department of Health guidance on local commissioning of sexual health and HIV services addresses the needs of asylum seekers and overseas visitors. The Department will shortly publish practical guidance on sexual health promotion and HIV prevention which will cover languages and also the particular needs of asylum seekers and refugees from African communities.The Department funds the African HIV Policy Network to manage national HIV health promotion work for African communities which includes refugees and asylum seekers.