Skip to main content

Pubs (Music)

Volume 406: debated on Wednesday 11 June 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport whether (a) pianos and (b) other forms of un-amplified music can be played in pubs without a licence under the Licensing Bill. [118264]

Under the Licensing Bill, the provision of regulated entertainment is a licensable activity. Schedule 1 provides that a performance of live music is a description of entertainment under the Bill, and this covers both amplified and un-amplified music. Accordingly, subject to the conditions and exemptions in the Bill, live musical performances in pubs would require the authorisation of a premises licence, a club premises certificate or a temporary event notice.The Government have accepted the principle that the performance of live music (as well as the playing of recorded music) which is incidental to activities which are not themselves entertainment or the provision of entertainment facilities should not be regulated entertainment for the purposes of the Bill and it has been amended accordingly.