Skip to main content

Continuing Care

Volume 407: debated on Friday 20 June 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether guidance has been issued to local authority social services departments about restrictions that can be placed on the 12 week property disregard, in terms of not paying it in respect of more expensive care homes. [119240]

There are no restrictions on the 12 week property disregard in respect of more expensive accommodation. The 12 week property disregard is available to all residents with property who entered permanent residential care after 9 April 2001. In respect of more expensive accommodation, residents who have accessed the 12 week disregard or third parties can make up the difference between the resident's contribution and the council's contribution.However the council's contribution should be sufficient to meet an individual's assessed needs and may exceed the council's usual cost. The Department has issued guidance to this effect under cover of Local Authority Circular (2001)29.