Skip to main content

Care Homes

Volume 408: debated on Tuesday 1 July 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.


To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will make a statement on the provision of residential care for the elderly. [122438]

In recent years, the Government have provided substantial increases in the level of funding for social services which councils can use to increase fee levels if that is what is needed to increase local provision or re-balance the care home market.

We are also committed to improving the quality of care, and this is evident in the development of national minimum standards for care homes.


To ask the Secretary of State for Health what constitutes personal care under the services provided by the care home sector. [122440]

Care of an intimate nature, including help with bathing, dressing and feeding, is usually considered to be personal care.