Skip to main content

Tax Codes

Volume 408: debated on Thursday 3 July 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what action his Department takes to ensure that tax codes for those (a) 65 and over and (b) 75 and over are altered in the year in which taxpayers reach (i) 65 and (ii) 75 years; and if he will make a statement. [122695]

For taxpayers reaching pension age who do not complete a tax return, the Inland Revenue will either have their date of birth in their records or find out from the Department of Work and Pensions that they are about to become entitled to their state pension. In these cases, they send the new pensioner a short form to obtain details of their income so that they can give them the full range of allowances to which they are entitled.Once the Revenue has received details of the person's date of birth, they will use this information to give the higher allowance once the person reaches 75.If for any reason the individual does not get the allowances they are entitled to, they should get in contact with their Revenue office.