Skip to main content

Sheltered Housing

Volume 409: debated on Friday 18 July 2003

The text on this page has been created from Hansard archive content, it may contain typographical errors.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what assistance is given to old age pensioners moving from their house to a sheltered home; and what proposals he has to ensure that older people are able to remain in their own houses if they wish. [124053]

I am replying in respect of service provision in England.Provision of sheltered housing is a matter for my right hon. Friend the Deputy Prime Minister.Local "Better Care, Higher Standards" charters should provide comprehensive information for people with long-term care needs, including housing, as well as care options.As part of the Department of Health's Public Service Agreement, we are committed to improve the quality of life and independence of older people so that they can live at home wherever possible. We aim to increase the number of those supported intensively to live at home to 30 per cent, of the total being supported by social services at home or in residential care by March 2006.The Priorities and Planning Framework 2003–06 assumes an increase of 6,900 extra care housing places between 1997 and 2006.