Skip to main content

Emergency Treatment

Volume 447: debated on Monday 5 June 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what working definitions are used for (a) accident and emergency departments, (b) walk-in centres and (c) minor injuries units for the purposes of determining which procedures are carried out in each. (68791)

Accident and emergency (A&E) departments are officially classified into three types. The types include major departments (type one), single-specialty departments (type two) and non consultant-led services (type three). Type three services are mainly minor injury and illness and include minor injury units (MIUs) and walk-in centres (WiCs).

The services which it is clinically appropriate for any individual A&E department, MIU or WiC to provide are a matter for local clinical judgement according to local skills and competencies.