Skip to main content

Swale Borough Council

Volume 447: debated on Tuesday 20 June 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department when he expects to designate Swale borough council as an alcohol control zone. (78510)

[holding answer 19 June 2006]: Local authorities can place restrictions on public drinking in areas with a history of alcohol-related crime, disorder or nuisance by making a Designated Public Place Order (DPPO), sometimes referred to as an ‘alcohol control zone’. The power, given under section 13 of the Criminal Justice and Police Act 2001, is not available to the Secretary of State for the Home Department, and can only be exercised by local government. Current figures reveal that around 170 authorities now have adopted this measure, with around 360 Orders published in England and Wales.