Skip to main content

Care in the Community

Volume 447: debated on Tuesday 20 June 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what funding will be made available to local authorities to pay for care in the community over the next three years; and if she will make a statement. (74267)

The Department does not hold this information nationally or for individual local authorities. Council funding for adult social services is derived from a number of sources: a share of overall formula grant allocated by the Department for Communities and Local Government, specific grants distributed by the Department, revenue from council tax, income from fees and charges and the re-prioritisation of funds on the basis of local decision making. The most recent allocation of funds for adults’ social services was made in December 2005 and covers the two financial years 2006-07 and 2007-08.

As most of the Government funding for adult social care is allocated without conditions, it is not possible to identify the proportion of that funding that may be attributable to care in the community. Local authorities have a significant degree of flexibility to manage and direct their resources in accordance with local priorities and the needs of the communities to which they are accountable.