Skip to main content

Horse-drawn Public Transport

Volume 450: debated on Monday 16 October 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport which body is responsible for regulating horse-drawn public transport. (91453)

Horse-drawn omnibuses and horse-drawn hackney carriages are licensed by local authorities (district or borough councils or unitary authorities). Any byelaws made by local licensing authorities to regulate horse-drawn omnibuses or hackney carriages must be confirmed by the Secretary of State before they can come into force. It is for local authorities to enforce any byelaws which they make.