Skip to main content

Premises Licence/Temporary Events Notice

Volume 450: debated on Thursday 19 October 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport what guidance she has produced on whether an (a) premises licence and (b) temporary events notice is required when a private organisation or individual holding a private not-for- profit event uses commercial caterers who supply alcohol. (94635)

DCMS officials have provided advice in response to individual inquiries about similar circumstances.

A premises licence or temporary event notice will be needed wherever any “sales by retail” of alcohol take place. Whether an event is held privately or for profit is not relevant. If alcohol was given away for free at a private event such as a wedding it would not need a licence. However, where there is a “cash bar”, or where a ticket is sold for a private event and alcohol is provided as a result of the purchase of the ticket, then a licence would be required. A caterer selling alcohol will need a premises licence for the place where the sales take place.

If event organisers are not sure whether an authorisation is required, they should contact their licensing authority (usually the local authority). However, we are currently drawing up guidance to assist people who are organising community based activities and small fundraising events and we will look at including guidance on this kind of scenario.