Skip to main content

University Research Councils

Volume 450: debated on Monday 23 October 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what funding his Department provides to university research councils; and what guidelines his Department has issued to university research councils on the use of their funds. (93949)

I have been asked to reply.

The Department provides funding to university research through the Research Councils. The Research Councils were allocated £2.6 billion by the Department in 2006-07.

DTI provides funding under the Science and Technology Act 1965 to seven of the Research Councils: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, Council for the Central Laboratory of the Research Councils (which does not directly give grants to universities), Economic and Social Research Council, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Medical Research Council, Natural Environment Research Council and Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council. The Arts and Humanities Research Council receives funding from DTI under the Higher Education Act 2004. The eight Research Councils are incorporated by Royal Charter.

A Management Statement for each Council sets out the framework within which it will operate. A Financial Memorandum sets out the financial framework within which each Research Council is required to operate. Copies have been placed in the House of Commons Library.