Skip to main content


Volume 451: debated on Wednesday 1 November 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence if he will consider allowing ex-military personnel to occupy empty homes on military bases in the UK. (97011)

[holding answer 25 October 2006]: Other than properties which are vacant pending families moving in, for work to be done or for administrative purposes, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) does not retain unused dwellings. The MOD sold the vast majority of service family accommodation (SFA) in England and Wales to Annington Homes Limited (AHL) in November 1996, with the arrangement that the Department would lease-back from them the accommodation we needed to house service families. When properties are no longer required, they are returned to AHL for them to dispose of as they see fit.

In order to help with adjusting to civilian life or for the purpose of house-hunting, recently retired or redundant service personnel may apply in accordance with Tri-Service Accommodation Regulations (Joint Service Publication 464) for surplus SFA located outside secured areas for a maximum period of six months on payment of the market rate for such accommodation.

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans he has to make service families accommodation regulations consistent with regulations for civilian property. (91756)

I will write to the hon. Gentleman and place a copy of my letter in the Library of the House.