Skip to main content

Agricultural Accommodation

Volume 451: debated on Wednesday 8 November 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs what the minimum agricultural wage is for qualification for an agricultural occupancy dwelling. (99977)

There is no direct link between the agricultural minimum wage and qualification for an agricultural occupancy dwelling. Further information on the agricultural minimum wage can be found on the DEFRA website at:

An assured agricultural occupancy arises under the Housing Act 1988 and applies where the occupant of a dwelling meets the agricultural worker condition. This includes serving farm workers who have been employed in agriculture full time (that is, 35 or more hours of work per week) for 91 out of the past 104 weeks. It also includes retired or former agricultural workers provided they have completed the 91 week qualifying period and the widow or widower of a qualifying agricultural worker. More information is available in the booklet ‘Agricultural Lettings’ published by the Department for Communities and Local Government, which can be found on the DCLG website at: