Skip to main content

Teacher Training

Volume 453: debated on Monday 27 November 2006

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Skills what training qualified teachers from overseas must complete in order to teach in schools in England. (103082)

Teachers who are nationals of the European Economic Area countries and are trained and qualified in those countries are entitled under a European Union directive to be awarded qualified teacher status (QTS) without further training.

Other overseas trained teachers are allowed to work as teachers in maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England (other than pupil referral units) for a period of up to four years if they have successfully completed a programme of professional training for teachers in any country outside the UK which is recognised by the competent authority in that country.

In order to continue teaching beyond four years, the teacher will need to obtain QTS either through an employment-based route (such as the Overseas Trained Teacher Programme) or a conventional Initial Teacher Training Programme.