Skip to main content

Thefts: Telephone Report

Volume 455: debated on Monday 8 January 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether the theft of (a) a mobile telephone and (b) a wallet can be reported to the Metropolitan Police on the telephone; and what guidance been has been issued to officers dealing with such enquiries. (109976)

The theft of a mobile telephone and/or a wallet can be reported to the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) on the telephone. The MPS has a telephone investigation bureau on each borough which will deal with any crime that is suitable to be investigated in this manner. The focus of any initial MPS decision whether to deploy officers to the scene or whether to deal with the matter over the phone will, on the whole, be based on the likelihood of capturing the offender or of obtaining evidence from the scene which may provide lines of inquiry.

The Home Office Counting Rules for Recorded Crime (HOCR), which includes the National Crime Recording Standard (NCRS), is issued to forces annually in April. The NCRS, which was introduced in 2002 with the aim of promoting greater consistency between police forces in the recording of crime and of taking a more victim oriented approach to crime recording, contains guidance on dealing with crimes reported to the police. Any report of crime by the public should be dealt with in accordance with the NCRS.