Skip to main content

Renewable Energy

Volume 455: debated on Friday 26 January 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, pursuant to the answer of 4 December 2006, Official Report, column 185W, on renewable energy, what plans she has to increase the amount of energy from renewable sources. (111907)

Government Departments are mandated to source at least 10 per cent. of electricity from renewable sources by March 2008.

Communities and Local Government's HQ estate presently obtains 99 per cent. of its electricity from renewable sources. The remaining 1 per cent. is provided by our landlord in a multi-occupancy building as part of the service charge, and they have no proposals to change this arrangement.

CLG’s agencies obtain 52 per cent. of their electricity from renewable sources, and at this time they have no plans to increase this percentage, although the situation is reviewed annually. This review takes into consideration factors such as cost, market forces and Government commitments.