Skip to main content

Road Works: Fees and Charges

Volume 458: debated on Thursday 29 March 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what powers local authorities have to charge utility companies for street works; and if he will make a statement. (130572)

Currently, local authorities do not have any powers to charge utility companies for carrying out works in the highway. A highway authority may make charges under s74 of New Roads, and Street Works Act 1991, if works are unreasonably prolonged.

The Traffic Management Act 2004 introduces powers that allow highway authorities to operate a permit scheme for all works in the highway, on which undertakers will be charged. Regulations have been drafted for the implementation of permit scheme and were the subject of a consultation that closed on 26 February. The draft Regulations will be revised to take account of consultation responses and will be laid before the House for debate this summer.