Skip to main content


Volume 459: debated on Thursday 3 May 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what his policy is on compensation for time remaining on the validity of an existing passport where a person seeks a new passport to take account of a name change following marriage. (134692)

No compensation is currently paid for time remaining on a passport which is replaced before expiry for any reason, although up to nine months unused validity is transferred to the new passport. The Identity and Passport Service has to recover all its costs through fees and a replacement passport costs as much to issue as a passport renewed on expiry. The possibility of a reduction in fees in these circumstances will be considered with HM Treasury when passport fees are next reviewed.