Skip to main content

Lorry Drivers: Standards

Volume 460: debated on Thursday 17 May 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what arrangements are in place to ensure that HGV drivers from (a) European Union member states and (b) other foreign jurisdictions meet the driving standards required of British HGV drivers. (136832)

The UK recognises driving licences issued by all other European Union (EU) member states, including HGV entitlement. As European Council Directive 91/439/EEC prescribes a minimum standard for health and driver testing (including HGV tests), it is presumed that HGV drivers from other EU states will have the same conditions applied to their driving standards.

Non-EU licence holders who are resident here may only drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (motorcycles, cars and light vans). Visitors may drive larger vehicles only if the vehicles were registered outside Great Britain and have been driven into the country temporarily. While driving on British roads they are subject to the same road traffic laws as British HGV drivers.

Enforcement of road traffic law is a matter for individual chief officers of police.