Skip to main content

Ex-servicemen: Council Housing

Volume 461: debated on Monday 4 June 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what advice his Department gives to members of HM Armed Forces who resign on their right to apply for local authority housing accommodation. (138446)

All regular service leavers, not just those who resign, are provided with information on sources of housing help in their leaving information packs which are usually issued nine months before discharge. A Life Skills Guide which is available on the internet also advises how to apply for local authority housing, and provides details of useful websites and agencies.

Early service leavers attend a mandatory briefing on resettlement issues and an interview in which their personal resettlement plan is developed and their accommodation arrangements reviewed. The resettlement officer makes an assessment of the leaver's vulnerability to social exclusion and, if appropriate, offers to arrange extra specialist help or advice.

The Joint Services Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides a dedicated MOD focal point for housing information and advice for those about to return to civilian life. The JSHAO gives regular nationwide briefings advising personnel of their housing options. Each service also has resettlement specialist officers who are available to give advice to service personnel at any time during their careers.