Skip to main content

Child Benefit: Migrant Workers

Volume 461: debated on Monday 11 June 2007

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer whether child benefit is payable to migrant workers living in the UK in respect of children living abroad in other (a) EU and (b) non-EU countries; and if he will make a statement. (135531)

A person may not claim child benefit if he or she is subject to immigration control. Migrant workers cannot usually claim child benefit in respect of children living in a non-European economic area (EEA) country.

However, benefits for EEA workers' families—including child benefit—are governed by European Community law. Consequently, migrant workers from other EEA member states or Switzerland may qualify for child benefit even if their children are resident in another EEA member state or Switzerland.