Skip to main content

Tenants: Antisocial Behaviour

Volume 461: debated on Monday 18 June 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government what powers are available to (a) local authorities, (b) the police and (c) other agencies to evict tenants causing antisocial behaviour when the landlord refuses to co-operate. (143329)

Where the property is let by a private sector landlord there are provisions in the Housing Act 2004 that enable local authorities to make a special interim management order.

Powers are available to the police, through an order of the court, to enable the temporary closure of properties taken over by drug dealers and users of class A drugs, which cause disorder or serious nuisance to the local community. These orders are called crack house closure orders.

In addition, both antisocial behaviour orders (available to range of agencies including the police and local authorities) and antisocial behaviour injunctions (available to social landlords) can carry powers to exclude persons from their place of residence for a specified period under certain circumstances.