Skip to main content

Excise Duties: Motor Vehicles

Volume 463: debated on Monday 23 July 2007

To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what mechanism is in place to levy road tax on vehicles used in the UK but registered in other EU member states. (151248)

European Union (EU) vehicles (excluding commercial vehicles) circulating temporarily within or between member states are allowed under EC Directive 83/182 to be used on public roads without the need to register or license in the host country. These provisions limit visits to six months in any 12-month period and the vehicle must be compliant with the registration and licensing requirements of its home country. Any vehicle used in this country for more than six months in any 12 must be registered and licensed with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). In addition, where the keeper of the vehicle becomes resident in this country, the vehicle must immediately be registered and licensed here.

The Department for Transport is currently undertaking a feasibility study to explore ways of delivering better targeted enforcement on foreign heavy goods vehicles.