Skip to main content

Motor Vehicles: Registration

Volume 463: debated on Monday 23 July 2007

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what requirements for (a) MOT and (b) vehicle insurance are placed on owners of vehicles used in the UK but registered in other EU member states. (151247)

The information is as follows.

(a) All vehicles have to comply with the minimum standards of roadworthiness irrespective of the country in which the vehicle is registered. If they do not their drivers and operators can be prosecuted and fined. The vehicle can also be prohibited from moving until necessary repairs have been carried out.

(b) European law requires all vehicles registered in any member state to have insurance for the use of that vehicle in any other member state. That insurance must cover the driver’s liability for any personal injury or property damage caused to any third party.